Digital Photography and Imaging - Task1: Physical Collage

Week 1-2 (21/4/2026-5/5/2026)
Emily Wong Jing Lin | 0394765
Digital Photography and Imaging | Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media | Taylors University
Task 1: Physical Collage

TABLE OF CONTENT

1. LECTURES

Lecture 1: Introduction & Briefing
21/4/2026 (Week 1)
The semester commenced with a comprehensive introduction to the module, Digital Photography and Imaging. Mr. Shamsul provided a roadmap for the upcoming months, outlining the key assessments and creative tasks. These include hands-on projects such as Physical Collage and Digital Collage, as well as advanced Photography assignments designed to develop our technical and conceptual imaging skills.

To transition from theory to practice, we were briefed on our first major task—the Physical Collage, which will officially begin in Week 2. To inspire our creative direction, the lecturer showcased a reference video demonstrating various physical collage techniques, emphasizing the importance of tactile exploration and manual composition before we move into the digital realm.

Lecture 2: Composition & Visual Hierarchy
28/4/2026 (Week 2)
Composition is the invisible structure that makes a visual work "work" through the strategic arrangement of visual elements. It functions to direct attention, establish relationships among elements, and create a sense of movement, order, or narrative. The core Principles of Composition include Balance, the Rule of Thirds, Framing & Negative Space, and Contrast.
Complementing this is Visual Hierarchy, which dictates the order in which the eye perceives information. This system is organised by scale and importance:
  • Primary Elements (Big): The anchor of the design that captures immediate attention.
  • Secondary Elements (Medium): Supporting information that reinforces the message.
  • Tertiary Elements (Small): Decorative or supplementary information that adds detail and texture.

2. INSTRUCTIONS


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J4OzNjT7yVjyR0306N4rmBXDz4ny8oaF/view?usp=sharing



3. PROCESS WORK

Phase 1: Initial Exploration & Challenges
I began by browsing through various magazines to source interesting visual elements. 
Figure 3.1.1 Pattern materials collected from magazine

Initially, I attempted to create a composition using a Radial Balance approach—one of the principles of composition I learned. However, after several iterations, the layouts felt stagnant and failed to achieve the visual impact I was aiming for.
Figure 3.1.2 The first version of Radial Balance

Phase 2: Research & Inspiration
To overcome this creative block, I revisited the lecture notes to deepen my understanding of compositional structures and conducted extensive research on Pinterest. During this process, I was particularly drawn to collages that utilized "Framing" as a central technique. The way artists used frames to isolate subjects and create depth was incredibly intriguing.
Figure 3.2.1 References related to Framing

Phase 3: The 'Eureka' Moment
The breakthrough happened when I discovered a compelling black-and-white image in a magazine: a person holding a magnifying glass. This specific imagery immediately sparked a new direction for my work, serving as the foundational inspiration for my final composition. It allowed me to merge the concept of "Framing" with a unique focal point, leading to the final result. I used framing as the main element and created three different layouts.
Figure 3.3.1 Pre-Composition of Task 1

Phase 4: Final Outcome
Finally, I decided on Pre-Composition 3 as the final layout and made some adjustments.
Figure 3.4.1 Final outcome of Task1: Physical Collage

Final Work Analysis
1. Principles of Composition Applied
In this composition, I have strategically applied several key design principles:
  • Rule of Thirds: The main focal point—the illuminated building—is positioned along the vertical grid line rather than being perfectly centered. This creates a more dynamic and engaging layout.
  • Framing & Negative Space: I utilized the hands and the diagonal blossom branch to create a natural frame around the central architecture.
  •  Asymmetrical Balance: Instead of a literal mirror image, the composition achieves balance through the weight of the light-colored blossom and typography in the top-right, which counteracts the heavy, dark tones of the hands below.
  • Contrast: A strong value contrast is established between the vibrant yellow building and the solid black background, ensuring the primary subject captures immediate attention.
2. Visual Hierarchy
The elements are organised into a clear hierarchy to guide the viewer's eye:
  • Primary Element: The central building and the hands. Due to their scale and high contrast, they serve as the immediate focal point and the foundation of the design.
  • Secondary Element: The main title "RULE OF THIRDS" and the white blossom branch. These elements act as visual bridges, leading the eye from the subject to the supporting details.
  • Tertiary Element: The scattered planets and the small supplementary text. These add narrative depth and artistic texture without distracting from the main message.
3. Reasons for Final Selection
I selected this specific layout because it achieves the best harmony between fluidity and structure:
  • Visual Flow: Compared to other iterations, the blossom branch in this version creates a more natural diagonal flow, successfully leading the viewer's gaze from the primary subject toward the headline.
  • Sense of Depth: The subtle layering—where the petals slightly overlap the typography and the building's edge—adds a tactile dimension that is unique to physical collage.


4. FEEDBACK

Week 1
General Feedback: We were instructed to gather essential analog materials, including: magazines (for source imagery), scissors (for precision cutting), glue (for assembly).
Specific Feedback: No specific feedback was given.

Week 2
General Feedback: Mr. Shamsul emphasized that Visual Hierarchy remains the cornerstone of effective design, as it dictates the logical order of information perception. We were encouraged to move beyond traditional cutting by incorporating tearing techniques to add organic, tactile textures to our work. Furthermore, the session highlighted the principle of restraint, reminding us that a successful composition relies on the strategic placement of meaningful elements rather than simply increasing their quantity.
Specific Feedback: Mr. Shamsul advised that elements do not need to be used in their entirety; strategically cropping or cutting away parts of an image can significantly improve its integration and focus within the overall composition.


5. REFLECTION

Experience
I began the creative process by sourcing diverse visual elements from magazines and experimented with Radial Balance as my initial compositional strategy. However, I encountered a creative bottleneck when the layouts failed to meet my aesthetic expectations. To resolve this, I returned to my lecture notes for theoretical guidance and conducted extensive visual research on Pinterest, where I discovered the potential of Framing techniques. My breakthrough came when I found a specific black-and-white image of a person holding a magnifying glass, which became the cornerstone of my final design.

Observation
During the experimentation phase, I observed that while Radial Balance offers symmetry, it can sometimes feel too rigid or "forced" if the elements lack organic connection. By analysing the "Framing" examples on Pinterest, I noticed how professional collages use natural borders and layering to guide the viewer’s eye more fluidly. I also observed that the monochromatic background (magnifying glass image) provided a much-needed visual anchor, allowing the other colorful elements (like the building and planets) to pop without cluttering the composition.

Findings
This process led to several key findings regarding visual communication:
  • Theoretical Application: I found that Principles of Composition are not just rules to follow, but tools to solve problems; switching from Radial Balance to Rule of Thirds and Framing immediately improved the narrative flow of my work.
  • The Power of Framing: I discovered that using a frame (the magnifying glass/hand) does not just isolate a subject; it creates a "story within a story," enhancing the Visual Hierarchy.
  • Research-Led Design: I realised that when intuition fails, academic research and professional references (Pinterest/Lectures) are essential for pivoting a design successfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography - Practical Tasks: Exercises

Typography - Project 1: Typographic Exploration & Communication

Illustration & Visual Narrative Task 1: Character Design & Merchandise and Packaging Design